Acidity refers to heartburn and gas formation in stomach or indigestion or gastresophageal decline diseases. Stomach generally; secrete acid that is very essential for digestive formation.
This acid is very helpful in breaking down the food at the period of digestion, when there is excess generation of acid in the stomach, this refers acidity.
There are many causes of acidity such as it can cause the error in the valve between the stomach and food pipe can cause the indigestion of the acid from the abdomen to the lower portion of the esophagus.
This situation is also called the heart burn acidity, it can also cause due to excess eating or enlarge intra- abdominal pressure and also when stomach and duodenum is not functioning properly.
Causes of Hyperacidity
Most of the times, acidity is not caused by a serious medical situation. A person experiences attacks of acidity a few times in a year or at times even just once in a year. Sudden onset of acidity is typically triggered by foods that you eat. Fatty and spicy foods are harder to digest than most food; this, in effect, prompts the cells that pump acid to produce more acid than is necessary.
Sudden onset of stomach acidity is also known as acute stomach acidity attack. This can easily be cured by taking over-the-counter (OTC) antacids to ease the stomach from ache.
However, there are acidity circumstances that persist. This is more known as a chronic acidity situation.
Stress and underlying medical conditions are frequently the cause of chronic stomach acidity.
Home Remedies for Acidity and Heartburn
- Coconut: Tender fruit pulp of coconut/coconut water could be taken for fast relief. Tender coconut water soothes gastric irritation.
- Sugar: Consuming cold water added with sugar brings down the acidity level immediately. However diabetis patients should refrain from this remedy.
- Milk: 300 to 500 ml of milk in sips taken during day or at bedtime proves beneficial in controlling acidity.
- Avoid: Avoid snacks and eat smaller meals.
- Avoid: Avoid foods such as chocolate, tomoto juices, peppermint, food or drinks containing caffeine, fried or fatty foods, carbonated drinks as these can worsen acidity problem.
- Avoid: Consuming alcohol could worsen acidity problem as it irritates your stomoch and esophagus.
- Quit: Smoking promotes acidity. Stop it completely.
- Lose Weight: Being overweight could worsen acidity problem.
- Sleeping pattern: Don’t lie down immediately after eating. Try to stay upright for atleast 2-3 hours after each meal.
Login to add comments on this post.