Acidity or heart burn is a common problem among humans. There is hardly any person who did not experience bouts of acidity some time or the other. This article briefly describes some of the major causes and symptoms of acidity.
Acidity occurs when the secretion of acids by the stomach exceeds the normal quantity. Cells lining the stomach normally produce some amount of acid which helps in the digestion process by breaking down the food we consume. Over-production of this acid leads to a condition called acidity.
When acidity occurs, the acidic contents (hydrochloric acid) of the stomach and gastric juices are pushed to the base of the esophagus or food pipe, resulting in a sour taste in the mouth that resembles the taste of a stale orange puree.
Too much of acidity may be corrosive to the walls of the stomach and food pipe. The stomach and proximal intestine has a built in defense mechanism against acidity. But when an imbalance occurs between the defense mechanism and the level of acid production, it triggers the problem of acidity.
Causes of Acidity
- Over eating
- Eating of fatty and spicy foods that are hard to digest.
- Weakness of valve
- Much exposure to sun and heat
- Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Anxiety and negative emotions
- Aging that weakens digestive system
- Not taking meals on time
- Remaining on empty stomach for a long time or skipping breakfast.
- Heavy intake of alcohol
- Excessive smoking
- Peptic ulcers
- Reflux of gastric acid
- Improper functioning of digestive system.
Symptoms of Acidity
- Chest pain
- Prolonged heart burn
- Chest inflammation
- Burning sensation in stomach region, 1-4 hours after meal
- Loss of appetite
- Bitter or sour taste in mouth
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gastro-esophageal reflux
- Respiratory problems
- Frequently feeling hungry
- Change in voice due to esophageal ulcers
- Pain during muscular contractions
- Constant and piercing pain in upper abdomen.
Hope, this article helps you in understanding the major causes and symptoms of acidity. These causes and symptoms helps you to treat acidity by using some natural home remedies, which is 100% natural, safe and effective.
Login to add comments on this post.