Amelogenesis Imperfecta, What Causes It
adrianna • onHealth & Beauty 9 years ago • 4 min read

The Amelogenesis imperfecta comprises a group of complicated conditions that show abnormal development in the structure of enamel in the absence of a systemic change.

There are at least 14 different subtypes of hereditary amelogenesis imperfecta, with various patterns of inheritance and a wide variety of clinical manifestations. As evidence of the complicated nature of the process, there are several different classification systems.

Enamel formation is a multistep process, and problems may appear in any of them. In general, the development of enamel can be divided into three main stages:

  • Development of the organic matrix;
  • Matrix mineralization;
  • Maturation of enamel. A condition in which the teeth are covered with thin, malformed enamel. Causes and risk factors: The amelogenesis imperfecta is a hereditary condition transmitted as a dominant trait that causes the tooth enamel is soft and thin. The teeth have a yellow appearance because the dentin is visible to the enamel. The teeth are easily damaged and susceptible to decay.

Dental enamel hypoplasia amelogenesis imperfect: We recognize three resistant structures in the tooth: the enamel, dentin and cementum have different characteristics as to their chemical composition, its physical and chemical factors, their origin, function and pathology. The enamel, or outer covering of the tooth, is the substance harder on the body, is found only in the crown, coating completely and protecting the dentin of external exposure. The enamel is composed of about 96% of organic material, and the remaining 4% are composed of organic matrix and water. Despite being a mineralized structure suffers enfermedad gene that affect its structure. Many disorders of development and growth of oral structures and teeth have been identified in dogs and cats also. These dental disorders can be manifested as abnormalities of shape, number, eruption and exfoliation, or structure.

We will emphasize the abnormal structure-hypoplastic enamel. In humans, there are the environmental and hereditary forms, but only the way the environment was identified in dogs. The hereditary enamel defects not associated with systemic flaws are considered as types of amelogenesis imperfect-hypoplasia. Enamel hypoplasia is the incomplete formation of insufficient organic matrix of tooth enamel, which occurs as a result of injury to ameloblasts are cells fulfilling various functions during the different stages of tooth formation, because there are no further when the tooth already fully formed. How hypoplasia occurs only during tooth development, or rather, during the stage of calcification of the enamel, once formed even when you can no longer produce the defect. Enamel hypoplasia is common, considering that the form can occur almost imperceptible. In its less severe form, presents as waves or grooves horizontal, normal color, the buccal surfaces of teeth, abnormalities that can only be understood by close examination or by passing an explorer on surfaces. In more severe cases the grooves are deeper, prominent, changing the color of the enamel to a normal yellow brown to black, suggesting a prolonged function ameloblastic. There are two basic types of enamel hypoplasia: 1) Hereditary amelogenesis imperfect; 2) Type caused by environmental factors.

The amelogenesis imperfecta is a group of hereditary enamel defects not associated with any other defects generalizations. A disorder exclusively ectodermal, as the mesodermal components of the teeth is basically normal. Determine the cause and nature of enamel hypoplasia due to environmental conditions. It is known that several different factors, each capable of causing damage to the ameloblasts, may give rise to this condition, including: 1 - Nutritional deficiencies such as vitamins A, C and D 2 - Measles, chicken pox, scarlet fever 3 - Congenital syphilis 4 - Hypocalcaemia 5 - Trauma at birth, prematurity 6 - Local infection 7 - Ingestion of chemicals 8 - Idiopathic

Read more on treatment for Amelogenesis Imperfecta and tooth enamel.


Login to add comments on this post.