Back pain can make it difficult to sit down, stand up, or get comfortable to go to sleep. Whether you have upper back pain, lower back pain or back and neck pain, dealing with it can make the day seem to drag on for ages – and the night, even longer. If you suffer from back pain, you’re not alone: back pain accounts for a large percentage of all missed workdays.
But the fact that something is common doesn’t mean it’s normal – pain is a signal that the body has reached its limit or has developed a problem, and just like traffic signals, this signal should be obeyed! Discover a natural solution to back pain relief.
Vitamin D for Natural Back Pain Relief
Researchers are finding a growing amount of evidence that some back pain is caused by a deficiency of vitamin D. According to a study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (May 2008), older women with inadequate vitamin D levels were twice as likely to experience moderate to severe back pain. Researchers believe this is because a lack of vitamin D can cause the bones to soften, which causes lower back pain.
The National Osteoporosis Foundation recommends that adults get 400-800 IU of vitamin D daily. People who have darker skin, such as Hispanics, Asians and African Americans, are more at risk for vitamin D deficiency because dark skin does not sufficiently transform the sun's UV rays into vitamin D. Foods that contain vitamin D include fortified juices, milk, and cereals, and certain fish.
Home Remedies for Back Pain
- Eat two to three cloves of garlic in a day. Garlic oil can also be effective in curing backache. To prepare garlic oil, fry ten cloves of garlic in 60 ml of oil (mustard oil, sesame oil or coconut oil). Strain the oil, let it cool down a bit and massage the back with it.
- Mint oil has been found effective in curing backache. Lightly massage your back using some mint oil. It will give relief from the pain.
- Apply some heat to the back, using hot water bottle or infrared lamp. This would give instant relief from the pain.
- Massaging with turpentine oil is another effective home remedy for backache.
- An effective home remedy would be to apply potato, in the poultice form. Peel a potato and cut into cubes. Boil the cubes and mash them. After they cool down a bit, apply on the back and hold it there with a bandage, for an hour.
- Take out the juice of one lemon and add some common salt to it. Intake this, twice a day.
- Basil leaves can also cure a person suffering from backache. Take a cup of water and boil ten basil leaves in it. Let the water boil till only half the quantity is left. Cool down the water and add 1/4 tsp salt. Drink this decoction once a day.
Login to add comments on this post.