Dandruff problem is a common problem these days. Dandruff occurs due to flaking of scalp. People with dandruff often are seen with bits of snow-like flakes falling on their shoulders or face. It is prominent when dark colored clothes are worn, and may be quite embarrassing. When dandruff occurs, the scalp becomes excessively scaly and itchy.
Dandruff may be caused by fungal or bacterial infection of scalp, and thus can spread through sharing towels, combs, hair brushes etc. Dandruff is of two types: waxy and dry. Waxy dandruff is formed when the epidermal scales of scalp get mixed with sebum only to stick to the scalp in heaps and patches. Dry dandruff comes in the form of tiny white flakes that fall off on dusting the hair.
Causes of Dandruff
- Calcium and zinc deficiency
- Usage of alkaline soaps and shampoos
- Infection triggered by yeast
- Malasezia furfur, a fungal infection
- Hot stream bath stops scalp flaking.
- Massaging scalp with hot olive oil and sesame oil and then wrapping a warm, moist towel for about 5 minutes is a good home treatment for dandruff.
- Rubbing a peel of lime immersed in coconut milk, on scalp thoroughly can free one from dandruff.
- Application of lime juice mixed with cosmetic vinegar on scalp can help one to get rid of dandruff.
- Massaging scalp thoroughly with warm almond oil or olive oil for about 5 minutes and then rinsing off with lukewarm water can give relief from dandruff.
- For a dandruff free hair, one may use apple cider vinegar for the final rinse.
- Powder of green gram is effective for driving out dandruff.
- A mixture of pure apple juice and warm water may be used to massage scalp. This treatment helps to get rid of dandruff.
- Lime juice may be used for the final rinse. This is an effective and simple way to treat dandruff condition.
- Application of warm coconut oil on scalp mixed with black pepper is a beneficial home treatment for dandruff.
- Compressing flaking scalp with a cotton swab dipped in a mixture of 2 tablespoon cosmetic vinegar and 6 tablespoon warm water can relieve one of dandruff.
- Massaging scalp with a mixture of curd and lime juice or juice of Indian gooseberry before hair wash can help to get rid of dandruff.
- Application of beet root juice mixed with cider vinegar or ginger juice helps to do away with dandruff.
- Rubbing scalp gently with the juice of snake gourd is a beneficial dandruff remedy.
- One can tackle dandruff problem by giving scalp sufficient sun exposure.
- Dandruff conditions can be treated by including plenty of fresh juicy fruits and vegetables in diet. One should drink plenty of water and avoid junk, spicy food, red meat, aerated drinks, candies, tea and coffee.
Login to add comments on this post.