Diabetes is one of the common metabolic diseases that occur due to defects in the carbohydrate metabolism in the body. It affects approximately 17 million people (about 8% of the population) in the United States. In addition, an estimated additional 12 million people in the United States have diabetes and don't even know it.
Causes of Diabetes
• Excess intake of oil and sugar • Hereditary and genetics factors also leads to diabetes • Increased cholesterol level • Over weight • Stress • No physical activities
Symptoms of Diabetes
• Frequent urination • Excessive hunger and thirst • Problems of back and joint pain • Tiredness or general weakness • Loss of weight • Long time for healing of wounds
Complications of Diabetes
• Diabetes may lead to blindness, kidney failure, and nerve damage. • It is also an important factor in accelerating the hardening and narrowing of the arteries (atherosclerosis), leading to strokes, coronary heart disease, and other large blood vessel diseases. • It is also the leading cause of blindness in United States. It can cause a number of eye problems, some of which can lead to blindness if not addressed • It also increases the risk of gum disease and tooth loss • Diabetic patients also suffer from impotence or erectile dysfunction.
Do's and Don't for Diabetes
• Avoid all kinds of sugary and sweet foods. • Eat bitter melon herbs either in powdered form (powder of bitter melon seeds) or cooked vegetables. It is very beneficial in the treatment of diabetes. You can also drink it in the form of soup. • Do not take starchy food products, as they are not easily digestible. • Also avoid coffee, sugar, refined flour and alcohol. • Include onion, sprouts, beans, garlic, tomatoes in the diet as it helps in lowering the sugar level in the blood. • Do not eat junk food and oily food as this will control your level of cholesterol, lowers your blood pressure level, and diabetes
Home Treatments for Diabetes
• Gooseberry helps to cure diabetes and brings the blood sugar level to normal. • Curry leaves also helps in controlling body weight and also diabetes. Chewing (8-10) curry leaves in an empty stomach to bring sugar level in urine and blood to normal. • Dry the leaves of mango tree and make its powder in a grinder. Mix the dry powder (1 teaspoon) of mango leaves in a glass of water and drink it everyday to cure diabetes. • Soak few fenugreek seeds in water and keep them overnight. Have these softened seeds in the morning. • Garlic contains allicin, which works at reducing the sugar level in the blood. It also brings about the disintegration of cholesterol in the body. • Jamun has also specific action on the pancreas, which controls the conversion of starch to sugar. The seeds of the fruit have better effects than the pulp.
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to provide health advice and is for general information only. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional before embarking on any health program.
Copyright © Nick Mutt, All Rights Reserved. If you want to use this article on your website or in your ezine, make all the urls (links) active.
Login to add comments on this post.