Hiccups are not really much of a problem, but in most cases can be more of an annoyance. All of us have experienced hiccups at some point of time or the other and most would agree that it is a trivial condition that doesn’t really require any treatment, except for in situations where it does cause some discomfort or embarrassment. Hiccups are basically sudden and involuntary contractions of the muscles in the diaphragm.
As these sudden and spasm like contractions in the muscle occur repeatedly, the opening between the vocal cords closes to impeded the inflow of air, giving rise to the hiccup sound. Hiccups can be caused when there is irritation to the nerves extending from the neck down to the chest.
Hiccups are almost always a minor annoyance rather than indicative of any ailment, but in some cases may be indicative of, or may be triggered by some more serious conditions such as pneumonia or from the rise of toxicity in levels as would be the case from kidney failure. Under normal circumstances however hiccups are not at all serious and have no clear cause.
Causes of Hiccups
The exact cause of hiccups is not known but some believed causes are: 1. Eating too much and too fast 2. Sudden excitement 3. Hot and spicy foods 4. Stomach disorders 5. Kidney problems 6. Infection in lungs
Home Remedy for Hiccups
- A simple home remedy for hiccups would be to have water frequently in short durations.
- Having a spoonful of peanut butter would work well in stopping hiccups.
- Taking deep breaths when a person is having hiccups is beneficial.
- A good home remedy for treating hiccups is to gargle, using lukewarm water.
- Lick a tablespoon of sugar slowly. This is an effective natural way to cure hiccups.
- Yet another simple trick would be to divert the mind to something else. this is effective in stopping hiccups.
- In a cup of yoghurt, add 2 tsp of common salt. Have this slowly to stop the hiccups.
- Take 2 cups of water and add ½ tsp of cardamom powder to it. Boil the water and then filter it. Have the filtrate to stop the hiccups.
- Another remedy would be to suck crushed ice. This would provide instant relief.
- Take a piece of ginger and suck it slowly. This would stop the hiccups.
- Combine 1/2 tsp mustard seeds with 1/2 tsp of pure ghee. Swallow this mixture as it would stop the hiccups instantly.
Login to add comments on this post.