Lower back pain or lumbago affects more than 80% of the people at some stage of life and can be very bothering. No specific reason can be assigned for this disease and the pain can be chronic, moderate and acute.
This musculoskeletal disorder impedes free movement of an individual and the serious cases often demand total bed rest. The symptoms sometimes persist for a week and subside and may relapse after a gap of few weeks or months.
The following symptoms are the indications of Lower back pain -
- Pain in back while bending, moving and walking.
- The pain is felt in the buttocks and pains that can last for 48 to 72 hours.
- Often the pain may extend below the knee to the foot and ankle.
- Pain felt while sneezing and coughing.
- Stiffness in the back and the hip muscles.
Though back pains don't have any specific cause but some underlying reasons can be:
- Any injury to the back muscles, spine and back bone that can result in this problem.
- Abnormal functioning of the abdominal organs.
- Pressure on the nerve roots or Sciatica is another factor.
- Degeneration of the spinal discs.
- Spondylosis, Fibromylagia and Osteomyelitis are other causes of lower backache.
- Even smoking can cause lower backache.
In case of moderate and sub acute back pains some self care treatments and medications are enough to cure the disorder but in chronic cases regular exercises with due precautions must be carried to keep the pain in check.
Sleeping with pillows in between the knees or sleeping lying on the back with knees resting on the pillow gives some comfort and so are often recommended by doctors.
Exercises are beneficial for chronic back pain as it improves the blood circulation in the muscles.
Some backache may require long bed rest depending upon the severity of the pain.
Painkillers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen are prescribed to relieve the back pain.
Application of heat and ice packs are also found to be beneficial in some cases.
Herbs can also play a vital role in treating lower backache.
Drinking few cups of tea from the herb Chamomile smoothes the muscles and reduces the pain.
The extract of the Horsetail helps in building the connective tissue and alleviates the pain.
Fresh juice from yarrow gives excellent results by strengthening back muscles
Application of a pack of black mustard seeds produces intense heat that lowers the back pain.
Login to add comments on this post.