RECIPE FOR MAKAR SANKRANTI (PONGAL) - ARISELU
1 kg rice 3/4 kg jaggery (grated) 2 tb sps of sesame seeds Oil to fry
- Pick and wash rice.
- Soak it overnight and remove water completely (spread on a cloth for a few minutes to make sure that the rice is dry).
- Make a fine powder of it in a blender (sieve if necessary) and set aside.
- The flour should be slightly damp.
- Add one cup of water to the grated jaggery and heat it in a pan till it melts.
- Sieve to remove any unwanted stuff.
- Heat it on low flame till it becomes thick syrup (a drop of the syrup dropped in a spoon of water should make noise and become lumpy and not melt).
- Add the rice flour to it slowly and stir well.
- Remove flame and make sure that no lumps are formed.
- When slightly cool make big lime size balls of it.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan/wok.
- Pat each ball into a thin, round and flat disc on a banana leaf or a plastic sheet and dab it with a few sesame seeds.
- Fry each one in oil on low flame till deep brown and remove.
- To remove the oil completely, place it between two flat ladles and press.
- Repeat the procedure till the dough is over.
- When cool store them.
- They last for more than two weeks.
Login to add comments on this post.