Vomiting is a forceful expulsion of the stomach contents due to the contraction of stomach muscles. Vomiting is also known as emesis. Sometimes you may attempt to vomit but may not expel anything from your mouth. This is known as retching. Vomiting may or may not be accompanied by nausea.
What Causes Vomiting?
Vomiting can occur as a result of ‘morning sickness’ in pregnancy, flu, motion sickness, infection, food poisoning, overindulgence, blocked intestine, illness, nervousness, anxiety, concussion or brain injury and migraines. Vomiting is usually preceded by queasiness in the stomach (nausea), a sensation of biliousness and stomach ache. Children most commonly suffer from ‘stomach flu’ that can also cause nausea and diarrhea.
Symptoms of Vomiting
- Involuntary expulsion of food from mouth and nose
- Increased saliva
- Difficulty in swallowing food or liquid
- Changes in skin temperature
- Increase in heartbeat rate
- Changes in the taste of some foods
Home Remedy for Vomiting
- One of the effective ways to cure vomiting would be to have ginger tea. Make sure it has less amount of sugar.
- Chilled lime juice also proves effective in treating vomiting. In a glass of cold water, squeeze 1 lime. Add sugar and salt to taste. Put in some ice, to chill it. Drink this mixture after every two hours.
- If the vomiting is due to excess intake of alcohol, eat a slice or two of bread slowly, so that it soaks the liquid.
- Do not eat any solid food until after 12 hours of vomiting. Instead, have loads of vegetable juices, water and other non-acid drinks. Then only, start having solid foods, such as mashed potatoes, rice and oatmeal.
- On a non-stick pan, heat 2 cardamoms. Once heated, crush them to form a powder and add a tsp of honey to it. Have this several times a day.
- Prepare a mixture by combining 1 tsp each of mint juice and lime juice, with 1/2 tsp ginger juice and a tsp honey. Have it 2-3 times in a day.
- Boil a cup of water and add a tsp of cinnamon or one cinnamon stick to it. Steep it for sometime and strain the water. Now, add a tbsp of honey, for sweetening it. Have this decoction 2-3 times in a day.
- Holy Basil, catnip and peach bark tea are helpful for treating vomiting. You can have them in any form you like.
- A tsp of onion juice, taken after every two hours, proves beneficial in curing vomiting.
Login to add comments on this post.