Today there are more than 80 million Americans that are suffering from arthritis. This crippling disease leaves people in debilitating pain. In fact it is responsible for more than half a billion dollars in lost wages every year. So what are the causes of arthritis?
If you, a family member, or a friend suffer from arthritis, it is very important to know what the causes and treatments are. Knowing and understanding can get you on the road to early treatment.
Arthritis is one of the most common causes of chronic pain which means joint and it is means inflammation, and it describes more than 100 different conditions. Some have inflammation while others do not.
Arthritis is not one disease. Because of the vast variety it requires diagnosis by a specialist and then a treatment plan. The actual cause of arthritis is still uncertain but there are certain factors that definitely contribute.
- Genetics exactly how genetics plays a role isn't quite known but it is known to contribute to the cause.
- Age As we age the cartilage gets brittle and is unable to repair itself.
- Weight if you are overweight you have more likely to have arthritis because the extra weight causes wear and tear on the joints.
- Previous Injury if you have had a previous injury the normally smooth surface of joint is irregular which causes joint damage.
- Occupational Hazards Some occupations have a high risk of developing arthritis.
- Sports Some types of sports contribute to arthritis.
- Illness some medical conditions and illnesses can lead to the development of arthritis.
Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, gout, psoriatic arthritis are all common forms of arthritis with the first two being the most common.
Most types of arthritis involve the joint becoming inflamed which is the body's natural response to any injury.
For example let’s say you cut yourself, your body releases chemicals that fight the bacteria which causes redness, inflammation, swelling, and heat. The area hurts for a couple of days and then things begin to settle down.
This is the same thing that occurs with arthritis. The only problem is that is happens because your immune system has gone nutty and the system that is suppose to attack foreign objects attacks your own body.
That's why treatments are so important. They are designed to reduce the inflammation which then reduces the pain. The most common mistake is to ignore seeking help from a doctor.
That happens because of two reasons. They aren't aware of the treatments that are available, or they are afraid that the medications are harmful to them.
Arthritis tends to be a condition that evolves to we tend to ignore the earlier symptoms. As the pain persists, and the swelling and tenderness increases we tend to blame it on aging.
Did you know that low back pain is the first symptom of arthritis? Any arthritis symptoms that last more than 6 weeks no matter how mild need to be seen by a doctor. If the symptoms are severe you need to see a doctor much earlier.
There are many causes of arthritis but the cause isn't as important as finding treatments that work and keep you pain free and your quality of life excellent!
Login to add comments on this post.